I was going to do a top 30 list of my favourite songs of the year, but time goes so quickly that I realised that a lot of the songs I was going to put in there were actually released in 2012. Oops! So, the top 40 has now dropped to a top 10. Some of the other songs I was going to include are at the bottom, just so you can see how out of touch I am!
Anyway, what are everyone else’s favourite songs of the year? Any good recommendations?
1. Song For Zula by Phosphorescent – Matthew Houck just gets better. Beautiful musically and lyrically.
2. Step by Vampire Weekend – I could have chosen at least five songs from their recent album but went for this.
3. Let’s Get High by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes – carrying on their 60’s Hippie vibe perfectly. This would have sat happily in the middle of the Woodstock concert film.
4. Head On by Man Man – A late discovery, but it has been on hard rotate since.
5. Will You Love Me by Matthew E. White – This blew me away when I first heard it. A gentle, almost whispered gospel type song, which rises and rises with each layer of strings, brass and backing vocals that come in. Like The Band fronted by Curtis Mayfield or something.
6. The Throw by Jagwar Ma – Like some sort of Screamadelica off cut. Acid House is back it would seem!
7. Am I Wrong by Mikal Cronin – A cool power pop number with a small hint of Beach Boys.
8. Hanging Song by Bill Ryder-Jones – This song, as well as most of the songs on Ryder-Jones’ second album, is just beautiful. The ex-Coral guitarist turns to piano to craft a song that only a Brit could craft.
9. Rock City by Kings of Leon – After a couple of listens this song of the Kings’ comeback album (there last 3-4 have been pants IMO) is my favourite so far. Harks back to their earlier days before they became a U2 tribute!
10. Do I Wanna Know by Arctic Monkeys – Again, there are a few tracks I could have chosen off another decent comeback album, but went for this one because it’s the opening track, thus the one that made me realise the Monkeys are back on form!
11. There Will Come a Time – Noah & The Whale
12. Time To Run – Lord Huron
13. Alien Days – MGMT
14. A Broken Heart – Christopher Owens
15. Black Skinhead – Kanye West
and the ones that missed out by virtue of not being released in 2013 (!) are:
16. Bam Bam – King Charles
17. Swinging Party – Kindness
18. Mountain Sound – Of Monsters & Men
19. Ho Hey – The Lumineers
20. Teenage Icon – The Vaccines
21. Hey Jane – Spiritualized
22. Sadness is a Blessing – Lykke Li
23. All I Know – Eagle & The Worm
24. Don’t Owe You a Thang – Gary Clark Jr
25. Emmylou – First Aid Kit
26. Some Place – Nick Waterhouse
27. Don’t You Forget It – Allah La’s
Then I gave up! Haha.